A B&B Review 4 You
Date: 30, 2000
Submitted By: Mary
When I first heard the CD was called Black&Blue I was a little afraid that the boys changed way to much but as they say "I know we changed but change can be so good" there right! So here's my review of Black&Blue. (I promise I will not say I love this song I love that song too much. )
1. The Call- When I first heard this song on the radio the weekend before the cd came out I knew I was going to love it! I mean have you ever heard a song like it? Basicly it's about a guy who cheats on his girl calls her up lies then regrets it 2 years later but can do nothing about it.
2. The Shape of My Heart-In my oppinion it's a shame they realeased this song first,its a beautiful balled but it does'nt represent the cd to well. And I think if they if they put the call out they would have smashed nsync's record. This song about a guy and this girl who's been his friend for a long time but they've grown apart and both changed, but he wants to tell her he still loves her,and wants to show her the shape of his heart.
3. Get another Boyfriend-"lets talk about what he's done to become your number one,was it all the promises of dimonds,pearls,and party dresses that turned you on?"Who couldn't love those lyrics? It's about this guy whose telling his good friend your boy's just a player so"stop acting like you givin' up".
4. Shining Star-this one took me by surprise its so un backstreet,thats why it's good though. But it tends to get a little anoing after a while. It's about a guy telling his girl "your my shining star that is what you are, ther's no one like you baby,angels everywhere every time your there,you will always be my baby"
5. I Promise You With Everything I Am-This ones nice its shows off the boys beautiful voices. Its about a guy telling his girl he loves her like he never love again. So don't worry about his love going away.
6. The Answer To Our Lives-I like the tune but can't firure out what its about. So Ican't say much on it.
7. Everyone- "Everyone,everyone,we standed strong cause of what you've done and this one goes out to you" This is so much better than larger than life,its more personl. I really like the circus bit in it. It's about the boys thanking eveyone of there fans for everything. This song should've had the vidoe from the one.
8. More than that- really nice,basicly saying I won't hurt you like he does,and will love you more.
9. Time-nice voices you have there boys. Is this song about them or a guy and his girlfriend?
10. Not For Me-very unique,the lyrics are great. About a guy who catches his girl cheating on him and says goodbye to you.
11. Yes I Will-beautiful they will play this at my wedding. not dumb at all. I did'nt know AJ could write so well,the should put more of his work on the next CD. Saying Please marry me and all give you every thing you want or need.
12. It's True-not much to say here,about a guy who hurt his girl and is sorry.
13. How did I fall in love with you-my favorite song,its so pretty. Good job Howie. Abot a guy who fell in love with his bestfriend olny has'nt told her yet. If Howie wrote this for someone all he has to do is sing this song and shed love him.
Over all a great Cd. Everyone should own it.
Date: 30, 2000
Submitted By: SHANNON
I can't believe that I saw bsb last nov.! When I found out that bsb was coming to iowa, I told everyone in my family so that I would have a better chance at tickets. I had people on the internet, people on phones/cells, people at hyvee. I was devastated when I didn't get tickets. My dad promised though, that he'd take me anywhere in the us to see bsb!
I was listening to the radio one day, (kiss f.M) and heard that they were giving away tickets, so I figured, why not? I called in and *surprise!* I won! I couldn't believe it, I started screaming and crying! I called everyone and told them that I was going to see bsb. At the time I didn't even know what row I was in!
I was in complete and total shock when I recieved my tickets, they were 5 row, on the floor! And *surprise* the venue was next to the hospital I was born in!
My dad and I waited in the blistering cold for about 15 minutes before we got in. I met lots of new people and was even on camera singing bsb songs. We found out later that the boys were going to see it!
We almost got our cameras taken away, but on a last minute impulse, I stuck it down my shirt and got by safely. I met yet more people while standing in line for merchandise! The time for the concert to begin drew nearer and nearer so I ran down all those rows of stairs to my seats. They were great! There were 2 extra seats in the front row that were empty, so I asked the securty guard if me and my dad could move up. He had me wait a minute and came back and said I could. I talked to the girls on my right, who had backstage passes that they didn't want, I asked for them and they gladly forked them over! During the concert, which was great, aj threw his water bottle to the girl next to me, who let me hold the holy bottle! Kevin then ran down through the audience surprisingly, with his broken arm and I got to shake his hand! Then I went into this room that was playing bsb music and was all blocked off to meet the boys and oh my gosh, they are sooooooo nice!
If anyone wants to talk about bsb in concert, in person, or just bsb in general please, e-mail me!
The AMAZING Black & Blue album
Date: 30, 2000
Submitted By: ness
Hey, I don't care what anyone says, I think Black & Blue is a brilliantly thought out album. I know BSB was out of the mix for a while and a lot of people were getting skeptical as to whether they could "come back" and in my opinion they never left. SO anyways, when I picked up Black & Blue I had not a doubt in my mind that this album was going to be PHAT. Let me get started.
The Call is so catchy. And I don't think on this song they were purposely trying to make a hit, but you can tell it already is. The video should be hott.
Shape Of My Heart surprisingly had me a little iffy when I first heard it on the radio. Believe me I am a LOYAL BSB fan, but when I heard it, it did sound like IWITW and I was never a huge fan of that song. But it finally grew on me and I think it is awesome.
Get Another Boyfriend is probably my fav song just because I luv the tempo. Ppl might say they are using too many synthesizer's and what not, but I believe Max Martin had it all planned and and did a brilliant job. Bravo
Shining Star is not exactly one of my favorites but it does surprise me that Nick could have pitched in on the song. Not that I thought his head was full of air I just thought maybe he wouldn't be as lyrically capable but I was proven wrong. Mad props to Nick and Howie on this one.
I Promise You is a slow jam, that I will be jammin' to. I luv this song. BSB have incredible harmony and I think this is just one of the MANY songs that prove it.
The Answer To Our Life has lyrics that catch my ear everytime I hear it. BSB are men with brains and in this song they've proved themselves once AGAIN.
Everyone is a good song. I luv that bsb dedicate a song to thier fans. It just shows that they do care and always think about us. I luv how they have the little circus theme, that is off the hook. A crowd pleaser definately.
More Than That is my other fav song on the album. It's just a great song. I guy is telling a girl that he will luv her more than the chump she's w/ now. What more could u ask 4 from BSB? It just would've been really great if they had writing credit on this song as well.
Time is just classic to me. If you work w/ Babyface in my opinion ur already up there with the lengends. The MEN have EXCELLENT harmonies on this song and lyrically it's not too bad either.
Not For Me is catchy. But I can just hear Bye Bye Bye all over again in this song. The beat and everything just reminds too much of it. I never liked bye bye bye and if BSB would've sang it, it would've made no difference. But all in all I do like THIS song.
Yes I Will is a good wedding song. I can just see someone now walking down the aisle to this or having the first dance to it or whatever. I like it, but it's sounds like "I'll Never Break Your Heart" to me. I don't know it just does. I luv it though, lol.
It's True is a great ballad. Asking for forgivness proves ur a real man and that the bsb are.
How Did I Fall... is an AWESOME song. I luv it to death. I can put this sucker on repeat all night, lol. Howie has such an amazing voice and i wish he would sing more often. The song has no drums and it is just off the hook. This is my favorite song along with MTT and GAB.
Mad props to BSB on this album. They managed to outdo themselves once again and prove that POP as well as them are going no where. Bravo BSB, Bravo!!
Black & Blue, review of a Dutch fan
Date: 30, 2000
Submitted By: Astrid
Ok, so here's my review of Black & Blue, I've read several reviews and I mostly agree with them totally, but as a Dutch fan, I've got some comments about 'Shining Star' and I've got a few comments about the other songs, too. Here we go!!
- The first time I heard this song, it totally surprised me, it has an original beginning and a great beat, but it's too bad that it's the same thing over and over again... it gets a bit boring when you've heard it 10,000 times. I don't like the bridge ('o-oh o-o-o-h') but I do like AJ's voice and the theme, admitting that you've cheaten isn't a common subject for songs, it makes it special and unique. So overall, it's a good song, this definetely's gonna be a great 2nd single, although it wouldn't be my choice... (I would go for 'Yes I Will') Rating: [****]
Shape Of My Heart
- The first time I heard this song, I was breathless. It's really beautiful and it definetely shows what a great singers the boys actually are. The beginning is maybe too slow, when you first hear it, you think you're listening to a ballad, but the change into a mid-tempo song makes it really unique and beautiful. I like Brians voice in it, it's so pure, and Nick's solo is great, too. The end is even more beautiful. Rating: [****]
Get Another Boyfriend - Awesome song!! Great intro by AJ, great beat and great lyrics! I like the part where Brian repeats 'I'm telling you, he'll eat you up from inside and then he doesn't wanna know' and the second verse, which Nick sings, is really awesome too. Great chorus, probably the best up-tempo Backstreet Boys-song ever. I just love this song!! Great single-choice...!?! Rating: [*****]
Shining Star - This song kind of sucks, to me. It was already released here in Holland, by another group (JPX), last year. It was a huge hit, but when I listen to the Backstreet-version, I always think of the Dutch version, it's just not original and not fair to the Dutch group. The booklet says that Howie and Nick have co-written this song, but I wonder which part of the song they've co-written, because the song was already used by the Dutch group before they could've written it. Well, never mind, let's go on to the next song.. :) Oh, I guess I should rate it.. Rating: [***] (their voices do sound good and overall, it's ok..)
I Promise You (With Everything I Am)
- The first real ballad on the album is definetely a beautiful one. It kind of reminds me of 'Anywhere for you', but I mean in a positive way. I liked that song too :)
I like Brians voice in the beginning, it's so warm and sensitive. I like the typical Backstreet-thing, all 5 voices in the chorus.. and the lyrics are simply great. I also like the part that AJ sings solo, it's so beautiful. Great song. Rating: [*****]
Answer To Our Life
- This song is really strong, it's obviously a Backstreet-product, it's a typical Backstreet song, but that what makes it so perfect. I like the mid-tempo beat and the lyrics are strong too. I like Brians part, in the middle of the song, it's slower than the rest of the song, kind of a pause. I really like Brians warm, beautiful voice. This song kicks ass! Rating: [*****]
- This song is written and sung for the fans, so I just have to like it. I feel really proud, everytime I hear this song, it's definetely real sweet of the boys to sing another song (after everybody & ltl), dedicated to the fans. I love them for that. Now, back to the song :)
This is a song, I imagine to hear at the start of a show, with all the lights and stuff... I like the circus theme and I just like the lyrics, the critics should listen to this closely and feel real embarassed for being so incredibly negative. It's just a great song where you can dance to. Rating: [*****]
More Than That
- Another great song, what else can I say? The boys are good!! The lyrics of this song go deep, but it's a really catchy song too. The first time I heard this song, I got tears in my eyes and I almost cried like a little baby. It's not a ballad, but it's not mid-tempo or up-tempo either. I like the bridge... with AJ and the boys behind him and the part where Brian sings the chorus by himself... that part is really beautiful, he sings it so sensitive and you can almost feel the hurt when you listen to it. You can just hear that he has his eyes closed, because that's when he sings so incredibly beautiful. Like an angel. Rating: [*****](yeah, again.. but hey it's not my fault.. blame the boys for that!)
- And another great song... this song is definetely about the boys' history and the negative reaction of the press and critics, and for a part, it's for the fans too. The lyrics are great. Especially the 'I know we've changed but change can be so good' part is SO beautiful. They're right! I loved the Backstreetsound in '95, but the music they make right now is 10 times better than the music they made then. No, it's not BETTER, it's different. The chorus is typically Backstreet, what makes it simply perfect. I love the end, I love Brians voice. Rating: [*****] (yep again...)
Not For Me
- This is again a great song, the lyrics aren't that strong, but the beat and the rhytmn make up for that. The 'no no uh uh' part is catchy, it stays in your head all day through. And that's how it was meant to be. Without that part, the song would be a whole lot weaker. The end is powerful. Rating: [****]
Yes I Will
- This is my favourite song on this album, it has sweet lyrics, a great beat and it's simple, that's what makes it special. I don't think it's a ballad, it's not slow enough to be a real ballad, but it was meant to be one, I guess. Brian's voice sounds really great, but AJ stands out in this song. His voice is so tough, but on the other hand so sensitive.. I can't explain it. I've listened to this song 10,000 times, but it never bores me. The part [I stand beside you in everything you do/Yes I do/Wherever you go/Whatever you do/Baby I'll be there for you/With God as my witness/I will carry this through/Till death do us part/As I promised you] always reminds me of the boys, it's like something I want to say to them, this is how I feel about them, about Brian & Kevin's marriages and even when they'll start families, I will still feel that way. I'll support them forever and I will love them till death.. But, back to the song, my rating: [*****]
- This song is really simple, the typical Backstreetsound returns! It sounds a bit like I want it that way and maybe even Quit playing games. The lyrics aren't deep, it's a typical lovesong, but the Backstreet-thing make it unique. It's not my favourite song on the album, but it's not a bad song at all. They've done better, but it's nice to listen to when you've got nothing else to do, when you just want to listen to a poppy song with lyrics which you can sing along. Rating: [****]
How Did I Fall In Love With You
- I love Brian's voice and I love Brian, so I love this song too. It's a real ballad, a bit too slow, I like mid-tempo and up-tempo songs better, but this song is so beautiful that I just have to listen to it. Those two voices, Howie's and Brian's, are great together, Howie sings the high notes easily and Brian tries to do so too. I normally like Brians voice better when he sings the lower parts, but it surprised me how good he sounds in this song. The high notes make him sound really sensitive, and his voice sounds even more like the Voice of an Angel. The piano makes the christmas-feeling complete, at least, when I listen to this song, I think of peace, love and angels. And that's how I think of christmas too. The song is a great ending of a great album. Rating: [*****]
Overall: Great album, but hey, what did you expect, these are the best, most talented, most beautiful, cutest, best-voiced and sweetest boys in the world, with some of the best & most talented producers behind them, and with the best band in the world (**BSBBAND**) to support them, you wouldn't expect less! Would you?
An Unbiased Review of Black and Blue
Date: 30, 2000
Submitted By: Kendall
I'd like to start off by saying I am a HUGE fan of BSB's music for a long time now. I do agree with everyone about the critics. They are simply trying to quell the "teen pop" genre and why not bash the Hell outta BSB's album, right...? Sorry! If you remember, the SAME exact thing happened to Millennium and now they're glorifying Millennium and dissing Black and Blue. While I don't think this was as hard hitting as Millennium and I also believe this wasn't much of a transition (like Backstreet's Back to Millennium), it is however VERY much praiseworthy. However, one of the things I'm completely hatin on with ALL of the reviews I've read so far (whether by critic or fan) is the comparison of BSB to Nsync... PEOPLE, they have about this much in common:
1. Unfortunately they are on the same label... (I personally feel if BSB were to leave Jive, acts like Nsync and Britney Spears wouldn't be as "large" as they are... hint, hint ;)
2. They each consist of a group of five guys (who couldn't be more different, trust me on this!)
3. They BOTH got screwed by Pearlman (let's not go there on this topic:)
... and without further adieu, I present my review... MINUS the Nsync bashing or comparisons!
The Call- Well, I was so graceously given the ENTIRE song by one of my Canadian friends like two months before the song came out... even before the making of Shape of My Heart. When he gave me the song, he told me what it was about and I was like, 'okay, why the HECK would I enjoy a song about BSB's cheatin ways???' I just have a few things to say about this; 1. The song got me on my salsa feet IMMEDIATELY!... AJ's and Nick's voices are very powerful and the song hits hard. 2. The very first time I heard I KNEW it was bound to be a single because they were just absolutely CRAZY if they wouldn't consider it. 3. Also, they very first time I heard it, I thought OMG, they're back and they're really going to show what they're made of. I hadn't expected anything like this... ESPECIALLY a song about a playa... kudos to the originality with this one (it's not everyday you hear the guys harmonizing about cheatin on their girl!) This song receives a 9.9 out of 10 from me! Well done, fellas!
Shape of My Heart- In my honest opinion, I caught the whole Millennium vibe when this was released... and that was the point, right? The harmonies on this cut are absolutely beautiful. I'm sure most of us have seen the video, which gives the song more appeal for me. I like the simplistics of the video, as far as concept. You can't get enough of the Boys goofin' off while their supposed to be hard at work :) This song does show rements of I Want It That Way, but is still a good song that gets your head bobbing. I think it wasn't as hard hitting for a first hit, but wait til The Call is released... they'll see :) Anyways, it gets an 8+ from me.
Get Another Boyfriend- At first I thought this was another Don't Want You Back... and I was gonna be like YES! Another kick her to the curb... BUT it wasn't and yet I STILL enjoyed this. Nick's part is unquestionably my favorite! Does anyone else love the fact that the guys still manage to harmonize on an edgy, uptempo track? Got to LOVE that! This might be single It gets an 8 from me!
Shining Star- Whenever I hear this song, I can just imagine Nick groovin to it... I agree with a lot of people who thought this was gonna be a sappy love song that BSB are SO good for producing. AND BOY was I mistaken. The first time, I wasn't really paying attention to it, just dancing. But this definitely brings back the R&B sound that I truly appreciate from the Boys. It's one of my favorites and I have to listen to it at least five times before moving to the next song! :) Nick and Howie did more than a great job on this! Gets a 9 from me.
I Promise You (With Everything I Am)- Okay FIRST (and I know I said I wouldn't do this but I just HAVE to) a lot of people mentioned Nsync's This I Promise You and I have the feeling it's only because of the "promise you" in the title of both songs, because this song doesn't remind me of This I Promise You at all... Anyways, it's absolutely beautiful. I can see all the swoons at concerts already. I love the Brian/Nick harmony on 'how do you prove the sky is blue, the ocean's wide', as well as the way Nick sings 'sugar, darling, I promise you'. I like the bridge, but it seems to me that AJ is reaching that note when he sings 'promise' and just can't seem to hit it. But then he makes up for it with his ad-libs. And the ooh's are VERY beautiful, you can hear Kevin!!! :) It gets a 7 from me, I love BSB ballads and this one isn't quite up there with my all time favorites, but close enough.
The Answer To Our Life- Okay, the first time I heard this I had to force myself to listen to it. I didn't like the opening, it reminded me of Michael Jackson's Billie Jean, but it did pick up on the chorus for me. Now, I'm thinking, 'what was I thinking?'. This definitely screams classic pop song. It's saturated with the bubble gum flavor and once again, if ya listen closely, those harmonies will draw you in! It gets a 6/7 from me.
Everyone- Okay, everyone else might hit me for this... BUT... it took me a WHILE to like this song. I agree, great opener. I also think people will think this a way of say... we've been gone for a long time, we love you, go buy our album... before you frown, let me finish! I think the chorus can give you a HUGE headache the first few times you listen to it... but now it's getting to me and I LOVE the little circus part. :) I give this one a 7 also, I like Larger Than Life better for a 'you fans are just the bomb' theme song.
More Than That- Okay, and now I know why this is one of Kevin's favorites! This is by FAR my favorite song on this entire album. I could type for hours about it, but I won't :)... where do I begin... okay, I will be VERY upset if this isn't a single, just kidding. This is my Back to Your Heart from Millennium (which is my favorite from that album), my All I Have to Give from Backstreet's Back (again, the favorite of that album... and all time favorite BSB song) and my Everytime I Close My Eyes from Backstreet Boys. There are just no words to describe the sheer beauty of this song! The voices, the music itself... call me biased, but this is just BEAUTIFUL! Who wouldn't love to hear Nick roll out with, 'baby listen to me when I say, I will love you more than that!' Perfect 10!
Time- I actually heard this song being sang a cappella before I got the CD... and can we say winner? It screams Babyface influence and depicts the Boys' writing skills! I also think it could be a great graduation song. Once again Nick's voice impresses me, but what really sends chills is the 'drop of a dime' break. It's also a very different concept from most BSB songs. This one is more personal for the Boys and you can tell they poured their hearts out on this one. 9++!
Not For Me- This one makes me laugh! Finally, I got my kick her to the curb song! LOL! It's very edgy and I just LOVE Nick's ad-libs, as well as the chorus. But my FAVORITE part is the end when they sing the chorus and then it goes OOH!... I just love that! :) It sounds like the guys had fun recording this one and I have fun listening to it! It gets a 9+ from me!
Yes I Will- Okay, a LOT of people I know don't like this, but I absolutely LOVE it. I think the lyrics may be too much for some, but it shows the maturity of the boys to men. This one is nothing but R&B! I LOVE the AJ/Kevin harmony :) Kevin's end is great too. I don't have much to say about this one, except, it's pretty high up there as far as potential! 9- from me.
It's True- Okay, yes, I have ALL three BK CD's. Yes, I have heard this song even more than Shape of My Heart. But I think this one is BSB at their classic ballad-making best. You can't get enough of the Boys singing 'please take me back!'. This isn't as appealing to me as Back To Your Heart was the very first time I heard it, but it's still a great song to say the least. 9+
What Makes You Different (Makes You Beautiful)- Okay this should automatically just have been put on the album. This doesn't have as much flare as I Promise You and the vocals, simple, yet affective, aren't as flashy like in Time or Yes I Will, but it just makes you feel good when you hear it. Plus, I love how Brian almost messes up (if you listen REALLY closely, he sings, "what makes you d... what makes you different) and I have ALWAYS been a fan of Howie's voice. Simple things like that makes a song great. Mr. Dorough certainly took over this album for songwriter of the year ;). 8++
How Did I Fall In Love With You- First let me start off by saying if BSB win ANYTHING it should be for having the longest titles for their songs! This guarantees some tears to roll down MANY faces. At first it was my favorite, but I fell in love with More Than That! Anyways, this one is pretty and guaranteed to be someone's wedding song. I like the gentleness it presents, along with how it's kinda light and airy. My favorite part of the entire song is Nick's very miniscule solo. It's breathtaking! This was definitely a great way to end the album! Way to go, guys! This gets a 10, but it doesn't ring me as much as More Than That does... sorry!
In conclusion, I gave this album a 3+ out of five. I personally believe Millennium was better as far as quality... HOWEVER and this is a BIG however. The vocals... I don't know about anyone else, but I think Nick takes this one over with his voice. Before any one catagorizes, as far as "favorites" go, it was and always has been ALL about Brian's voice from the beginning. I am just utterly impressed with Mr. Carter on this album. Ultimately, he is the reason I love More Than That so much. If you've been a fan for a long time, you can agree that the growth from Let's Have A Party to now is truly amazing. To be honest, I always thought Nick's voice was like every other "heartthrob's" (especially the youngest ones in the group). It has that baby softness that make girls want to pull their hair out to get a little closer... but NOW... Mr. Carter, my congratulations definitely go out to you on this one, vocally. The Boys have always impressed me with their growth, musically, physically, and this time is no different. In my opinion, this album is a keeper. The problem with critics is they expected another "teen pop" theme to go with this one, while it should have been evident with Millennium that the Boys were trying to make a break from the whole genre. Yes, the Boys accumulate so many young fans, but we older fans are here too and there are a LOT of us, trust me! We know good music when we hear and this is as good as it gets! :) My hat also goes off to the fact that the Boys wrote more on this album. I don't know why so many people are amazed that they can write because they've had so many songs already... and it seems to me that the ones they write are some of their best songs (hint, hint)... but that's my opinion!
Black & Blue
Date: 30, 2000
Submitted By: Naomi
I love the BSB's new album and heres my review on it!!!
1. The Call ~ Fast catchy tune. I love the beginning, where the phone rings. Very Very Good Dance song!! I love it sooo much because they have that latin type of sound to it~!!!
2. Shape Of My Heart ~ Sweet soothing music. One of my favorites in this album. Sounds like I Want It That Way.
3. Get Another Boyfriend ~ I LUV this song sooooooo much!!! AJ & Nick did a great solo part!!
4. Shining Star ~ This song is very very very good. Good rhythm. Nick and Howie did a great job!!!!
5. I Promise You ( With Everything I Am ) ~ Sweet song. If a guy sang this to me..I probably will fall i love with him in no time~!!!
6. The Answer to our life ~ I luv the beginning of it. Nick's voice sound soo sweet. Also one of my favorites in the album
7. Everyone ~ If BSB doesnt put this song as a video. I will be soooo upset!! This is my favorite for the "To Fans" songs.
8. More Than That ~ I like the latino type of rhythm to it. I like it when Brian goes solo in the middle of the song. "I will love u more than that" soooooooo sweet!!
9. Time ~ Very sweet song. A song i can never get sick of. Backstreet Boys are incredible writers!!
10. Not For Me ~ This song is nothing like that "Its Gonna be me" by NSYNC. Not For Me is also one of my favorites. Its a very kewl song, with a GREAT rhythm ~!!
11. Yes I Will ~ A sweet ballad. AJ did a great job on it. I wish my boyfriend sang this to me................
12. Its True ~ I can just imagine BSB singing this right below the stars. Just singing it to the sky at night. This one of my ALL-TIME-FAVORITE song of the Backstreet Boys!!
13. How Did I Fall in love with you ~ THIS IS MY FAVORITE SONG OUT OF BACKSTREET BOYS. its a incredible incredible incredible ballad. THIS SONG IS TOOOOO SWEET. Howie should become a PRODUCER AND WRITER!!!
Well thats about it!! You see.. I love every single song from Black & Blue..well c-ya!!!!
Black and Blue
Date: 30, 2000
Submitted By: Dionne
Okay, I am sooo late on this,but lemme go on and do it. Here's what I think about the new B&B cd.
The Call- aight,now I know this will be the next single and it is growing on me. It takes time ya know. Good song!
Shape of my heart-At first, I thought it was cheesy,b ut now, I love the song even more and I love Nick's part(even though I am not a Nick fan) when he says ,"I feel, with my confession, got nothin' to hid no more. I don't know where to start, but to show you the shape of my heart..."
Get another boyfriend- Oh man! This is my song! I love the beginning and it sounds like they are snappin' on her. Go boys!
Shining Star- I'm sorry, some of y'alls ay y'all ain't feelin' this, but this song is the SH*T! I put it on repeat, downloaded it off of Napster and I just can't get enough of it. I am going to the concert on January 27th and this is one of the songs I am looking foward for the guys to sing.
I promise you(with everything I am)- This is aight. That title sounds so 'N sync. It's too plain for me.
Answer to our life-I'm soo not feelin' this one. Why did they put this one on the CD? But do your thang guys!
It's true- "It's true, I mean it!" Could we sing a better song? This song is my least fav. They shouldn't have put it on the CD.
Everyone- I love this song. It is so catchy and reminds me of 'The One'. But you know what? This is better than 'The One' in my opinion.
More than that- This song is cool, I like it. That's all I must say.
Time- Oh man! these guys can do some harmonizing buddy! They tore up this song and I like the end when Bri sings. Wonderful!
Not for me- Dang! This song always makes me wanna get up and dance. Too tight!
Yes I will- I like it! R&B feel and AJ sounds good!
What makes you different makes you beautiful- This is a nice song. I cried. No doubt about this one!
How did I fall in love with you- Howie and Bri tore up this song. It is soo beautiful. I really cried and I do everytime I play or listen to this song. Beautiful!
Living the Black and Blue life a bsb/b&b review
Date: 30, 2000
Submitted By: Kerri White
It's disappointing to know that the media both written and televised don't actually know what a good CD is-- to say the least none of the reviews done for Black and Blue are worth the time and effort to actually sit through and either read or listen to the only reviews worth all the time and effort are those posted here at backstreet.net the only place to go to know that BSB does in fact rule the world.
Personally I think that Black and Blue sets a new standard for all male vocal groups such as 98 degrees, nsync and so on this album shows that any gorup who has the talent can expand the whole idea of pop music and make it sound like 'The Call' sounds and still be able to say this is pop! I was recently asked to express why I think the backstreet boys are so popular so i started to think and i relized that it does not matter that B-Rok and Kev are attached and unavalible most fans don't care about that stuff--it's the music we care the most for and when songs such as Everyone expresses how bsb feels about their fans you know that Black and Blue is something wonderful! Out of every CD the guys have done this one shows the more personal side of the band if you were to listen closely to each song you can hear the underlying message that is putforth in each song! 'I promise you from the bottom of my heart' is one of those songs that if you listen closely to you can hear that this song is in a way connected to the bsb wives and its a sweet tribute!
Each song is something that a typical fan like myself could spend hours explaining because no matter what the media and press might say Black and Blue is the album of the year in my book!
Black & Blue
Date: 02, 2001
Submitted By: Mandy
This album is THE BEST from Backstreet!!! My ratings are on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the highest)
The Call - Great beat, awesome vocals...but for some reason it doesn't stick with me. (8)
Shape Of My Heart - I LOVED this song when it came out...but it's being overplayed. (7)
Get Another Boyfriend - I LOVE this song...AJ and Nick worked this song beautifully. Everytime I listen to this I wanna scream the words :P (10)
Shining Star - Although many people aren't too fond of this song...it's one of my favorites. It's such a dancy feel-good type of song. I could listen to this song on repeat forever! (10)
I Promise You - I love Nick's part in this song "How do you prove the sky is blue...the ocean's wide?"...makes me melt (9.7)
Answer To Our Life - great writing!!! The lyrics are awesome...the guys should write all of their songs!!! (9.5)
Everyone - Its a cool upbeat song...not one of my favorites...but it pumps me up and gets me all excited for the upcoming concerts. (8)
More Than That - What can I say??? It's AMAZING!!!! I LOVE it!! My favorite ballad of all time by ANYONE (and let me say I'm a sucker for ballads like Rod Stewart, Journey etc.) (10+++++)
Time - makes me wanna cry...i love it!!! (9.6)
Not For Me - AWESOME upbeat track!! I love it! Such a cathy chorus...you'll be singing it forever once you hear this song (9.8)
Yes I Will - cheesy song...but its still cute (6)
It's True - I was never really impressed with this song...I know their capable of "more than that" lol (8)
How Did I Fall In Love With You - BEAUTIFUL SONG!!!!! I LOVE IT. Great lyrics Howie! (10)
Black & Blue
Date: 02, 2001
Submitted By: Kasi
WARNING: I really don't want to recieve hate mail over this, so if you
are the type of fan who can't read anything negative about the boys without going off (trust me I know they exist, because I used to be one)just skip this review. If you think you can keep cool I ask that you please don't get p.o.ed at my opinion (even though I don't think it's bad!!) It's just me being honest.
I'm going to do this in the best way I know how- one track at a time, on a 1-10 scale (1 being worst and 10 the best) cause this isn't the kind of album you can review as a whole. So here goes nothing!
#1- THE CALL- Great Song!!! A little bit more of an edge then previous Backstreet songs. But the begining with A.J. and the girl is more then a little cheesy, and it gets annoying to listen to every time you wanna listen to the song. But once the verse kicks in you get hooked. The only question is when A.J. sings "was about to go home, when there she was standing in front of me, I said hi, I got a little place nearby wanna go?' I should have said no" This one line makes it sound like he asked, then got asked (get what I'm trying to say?) So maybe it's just me, but if anyone really gets this, email me. Maybe he wanted to say no to his own judgement or something. Oh- and the "opera singer" ooh ooh's in the middle could go(they make me think of those Mt.Dew commercials)... I can't wait for the Outkast remix, I know it will kick a$$. All in all i give the song a 9
#2- SHAPE OF MY HEART- This is a great "Backstreet" song. But not at ALL what I would have picked to be the opener.I mean, givin the past year has seen HUGE sales by artists with really "in-you-face" 1st songs (ex: *that other group, Britney, Eminem) Don't get me wrong, the song makes a great single, just more of a 2nd or 3rd song, in my opinion. (But then what do I know- I'm not in the business!) Other then that, it's a great song, I give it a 8.5
#3- GET ANOTHER BOYFRIEND- I LOVE this song, it's, lyrically, a lot like "All I have to Give" (which was my fav on the 1st album) but I like that in this song they aren't really trying to steal the girl away from her bf, just get her out of a bad situation. The beats great and I love that they say "he's just another playa" that's so cute! I say 9.5!
#4- SHINING STAR- How cute is this song? It's just a great pop song, that's really all you can say!! Plus how can you not get goosebumps when Nick says he "lets every single part of me be your's" I give it a 8
#5- I PROMISE YOU (WITH EVERYTHING I AM)- This is THE BEST ballad ever. I LOVE this song!!!! Who doesn't? It's so beautiful, it just flows, you can sing along and not even realize it. It's the best wedding song that could possibly be made. I mean they even say "till death do us part" It's absolutely AMAZING!!! Definite 10+++
#6- ANSWER TO OUR LIFE- If #5 was the best ballad then this is just the greatest song on the record all together!! This song is a real slap in the face to any critic who ever said the guys couldn't write their own music and/or sing anything other then "pop-y love songs" In fact, the song really has nothing to do with love, but its probably the best song they've ever done! I just love it! The lyrics and the music are just perfect. This HAS to be a single!!!!10+++++++++++
#7 EVERYONE- I didn't really like this song when I first heard it, I thought the music was kind of cheesy and whatever they are saying in the background the whole time ( I STILL can't figure it out) kinda bugged me. But the more I listen to it the more I really like it. The message is really good and it's really catchy. I can't wait to see it performed live (considering the song is about a concert!) It would make a great opener on this tour (just like "ltl" on the last) I love the fact that they really do care about their fans enough to put songs about their fans on the albums, that's something a lot of groups lack! I give it a 8.5
#8 MORE THAN THAT- This was the 1st song (other then "It's true" and "Shape of My Heart") that I heard off of B&B!! I knew it was gonna be a great album. This is a great song!! It really shows that they have grown up, in the lyrics and in their harmonies! I don't know what else to say, it's just a great song. I give it a 9
#9 TIME- Well when I first heard this song I cried (don't laugh) It's just that I was sitting in my room listening to the radio and it made me think about 4 years ago when I was dancing around my room listening to "Quit Playin' Games" and "As Long As You Love Me" on the same radio... I realized how much they have grown as well as how much I have. It made me think about all the stuff that has happened in my life (good and bad) and made me think about how I had always listened to their music to get me through it! It is just a BEAUTIFUL song. It would make a great graduation song! 10
#10 NOT FOR ME- This is a good song, nothing exceptional, but it's good. I like the style a lot, it's really different, which I like. I really love the 2nd verse and how A.J. says "I don't wanna be part, of your screen play, just tell me did you rehearse on me, or give me the story, baby who's to win?" (then Nick) "me or him". I really love that verse. I give it a 8.5!
#11 YES I WILL- Ok, now someone's gonna get mad, but can you say "CHEESY" It's a beautiful song (musically speaking) but COME ON, "start a family with you". Usually A.J. write really good stuff ("If you knew what I knew", "You wrote the book on love" both of which I think should have been on an album!) so I was dissapointed
when I heard this. The song does start to gather some credit when Nick belts out the "With God as my witness..." line. It makes a good climax to a less than exciting song. 6.5
#12 IT'S TRUE- I'll admit, when they realeased this song with the Burger King thing, I was a little worried for the outcome of Black and Blue!!! I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful song. It just doesn't "fit" in with the other songs on the album. Kinda like when you were in kindergarden and they gave you with the pictures of, like a pen, pencil, paper, and a cheeseburger. Then they ask you to say which one doesn't belong in the picture. Even though a lot of people would like the cheeseburger more then the other things, that doesn't make it fit with them! (Sorry for the really bad analogy, it was the 1st thing that came to mind!) I give it a 8 for the SONG, and a 5 for how well it blends with the rest of the album (so we'll do a average of 6.5 all together!
#13 (on wal*mart versions) WHAT MAKES YOU DIFFERENT- I love the idea of this song but is it only me, or was Howie REALLY desperate for words that rhymed "you go your own way, you don't play after dark, you light up my day!" lol, it's just kinda cheesy! But the message is really good, I want to stress that, I love what the song is saying. It just needs a little more "punch". The chorus' almost make up for the lack of creativity in the verses. I give it a 6.5
#14 HOW DID I FALL IN LOVE WITH YOU- When you first hear this song, you don't expect a love song, it sounds like a dis type of song, like "omg... why did i ever go out with you" type thing! But then you hear it and it's the complete opposite. I LOVE this song. All credit lost in writing "what makes you diff" is made up a 100x over in this song! The piano/violin(is that right?) combo is incredable!!! It's such a sweet song, and I personally can really relate to the lyrics, esp. the "best of friends, like sister and brother" part. Great Song!!! 10
Well that's my review, if you have something to say you can email me. I would really like other inputs on my review, sorry if I made anyone upset/mad. I was just saying what I thought! I love the guys, and this is the best CD they have ever made, it's just not as good as I think they could've made it. Being they are the best group in the world!!!!!
Thanx a bunch- Kasi